It is THE best Otolonghi recipe I've ever tried. I've since experimented with endless variations -- basically eggs poached in a tasty tomato and pepper sauce.
I like a bit of heat so the jalapeño, cumin, paprika and cayenne are must-adds... Govern yourself accordingly.
It can be breakfast, lunch or dinner, with a bit of crusty bread.
1 T olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 T paprika
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes
- 1 T tomato paste
- salt, pepper and cayenne to taste
- 6 eggs
- 2 T parsley, chopped
- crumbled feta
- Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat, add onions and peppers. Cook until tender, 5-7 minutes.
- Add garlic, cumin and paprika and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add tomatoes and tomato paste, season with salt, pepper and cayenne to taste, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until sauce starts to thicken, about 10-15 minutes.
- Make 'wells' in the tomato mixture, place the eggs in them and let them cook until the desired level of done-ness i.e., 3-6 minutes.
- Serve garnished with parsley along with some crusty bread and enjoy!
- Top with crumbled feta.